Thursday, February 18, 2010

Comedian: Year One.

February 18th 2009. I performed stand up comedy for the first time ever. Not only was this the first time I'd done stand up, but it was also the first time I'd spoken to more than maybe 10 people at once. Terrifying, to say the least. After qualifying for the final of the UCD Stands Up competition, I was so happy and on such a buzz. Such was the amazingness, I implore everyone to try stand up, even just once.

Receiving generous applause from the amazing turnout of Cavan friends. :)
February 18th 2010. I've two gigs today.One for UCD Science Day, supporting Robbie Bonham, the other in The Underground Comedy Club. As cliched as it is, if you'd told me before I went on stage in Lonegans last year of all the gigs I would do and people I'd meet, I'd have probably thought you were fucking with me to put me off. 
I've had so many amazing experiences in the last year; playing the Kilkenny Fringe, being on the radio and tv, signing my first autograph. All things that no doubt seem miniscule to those who've being doing this for longer than me, but for me, who grew up essential afraid of social interactions and public speaking, it's unbelievable. As I've said on here before, comedy is the first thing I've ever done that I've been really passionate about.
There're so many people I should thank for the last year, but I don't want to do a list for fear of forgetting/offending people. However I must give huge thanks to Aidan Killian and Dave O'Gorman for helping me get started and giving me and abundance of gigs, thanks to Jarlath Regan and Fred Cooke for their constant support, advice and for being a genuine nice guys and Emily O'Hanlon for driving me around over the summer, going to more gigs than anyone and putting up with me. :)

Despite my progression in terms of confidence, I still have to get over the uncomfortable feeling of calling a a stranger on the phone. This is one thing that has definitley prevented me from getting more gigs.

I will record my set in The Underground tonight and upload it in the next few days.

Thanks guys, 
d

3 comments:

  1. Where's the Underground? I'd love to see you live!

    Congrats ont he first year. It's an amazing thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's under The Oak on Dame St. Just up past the Olympia! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your comedy anniversary...thingy! I'm happy to know such an amazing comedian (:

    ReplyDelete